Chapter Regent: Maria Morell
Chapter Charter: 1896
The Phebe Greene Ward Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR), is a large, active chapter based out of Westerly, Rhode Island, a beautiful waterfront community in Southern Rhode Island. We welcome members from all surrounding areas. At approximately 90 members, we are the largest chapter in the state of Rhode Island, attracting many new members each year.
We meet about 8 times a year, typically during evening or weekend hours to accommodate work schedules. Our meetings frequently have guest speakers addressing a range of interesting subjects.
We are active in honoring our veterans, patriotic youth education, conservation efforts, and genealogy research. Our chapter has a genealogy specialist, ready to assist you with your research.
In addition to regular meetings, our chapter provides service to our communities in Southern Rhode Island including Westerly, Richmond, Charlestown, Hopkinton, and beyond.
Provide Community Service
- Donate items for local non-profit charities including Rhode Island Center Assisting those in Need (RICAN), which is dedicated to providing emergency food, clothing, and other vital support measures to neighbors in crisis, and the Jonny Cake Center, which provides a continuum of services in the local area to assist people through crisis situations and helps find a path out of dependency toward self-sufficiency.
- Work with local youth and scout groups
- Donate items for Rhode Island veterans (VA Hospital & Holly Charette Home for Women)
- Members active in local historical societies
Support Patriotic Education
- Facilitate the American History Essay Contest for local Middle Schools.
- Present DAR Good Citizenship award to deserving Senior student at each of the two local high schools
- Provide information and awareness to local school guidance counselors about NSDAR scholarships
- Promote national patriotic holidays and march in local parades
Participate in Historic Preservation efforts
- Serve as volunteer museum docents
- Work to restore historic properties into museums for the benefit of future generations
- Assist members and prospective members with geneology research
Current Chapter Accomplishments
- Sponsored a $10,000 DAR Grant to restore the granite steps at the Westerly Armory
- Participated in three major events during Westerly’s 350th Anniversary (Old Time Fair, Columbus Day/Westerly 350th Parade and Westerly’s 350th Christmas Light Parade)
- Chapter members made and donated over 5,000 masks for area veteran groups, schools, first responders and charitable groups for use during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Recipient of an NSDAR Commemorative Event National Award for participation in Westerly’s 350th Anniversary
Contact us today to find out how you can become a member.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters. For issues with our site, please contact our state Webmaster or our Chapter Regent. Unless otherwise noted, all photos courtesy of RIDAR. Last updated 12/13/2020.