Slater Memorial Park, Pawtucket, Rhode Island
National Heritage Corridor
John Daggett came to America in 1630 and settled in Weymouth, a part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The descendants of John Daggett built this very house in 1685. The land surrounding Daggett House, now Slater Park, was the first landing place of Roger Williams and his small band of followers after they were driven from Salem, Massachusetts. Governor John Winthrop of the Plymouth Colony advised Roger Williams to move off the land as it was considered part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Five years later, Roger Williams relocated to Providence. It was then that Governor Winslow and John Brown purchased considerable land on the easterly side of the Blackstone River for a company of Weymouth colonists, which included John Daggett.
Eight generations of Daggetts lived on this beautiful farm, now known as Slater Memorial Park.
The original house was built in 1643-1644, but was burned down by Native Americans during King Philip’s War in 1675-1676. It was subsequently rebuilt in 1685 by the second John Daggett.
The Daggett Farm was originally in Rehoboth, Massachusetts. Then in 1828, it became a part of Pawtucket, Massachusetts and later was transferred to Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Nathan Daggett and Colonel John Daggett were two of the 310 men and 27 officers from Rehoboth who fought in the Revolutionary War.
George Washington’s diary indicates that he stopped at the Daggett Homestead on his way from Newport to Boston. The house was a short distance from the Old Post Road (Newport Avenue-Route 1A).
Pawtucket Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, leased the house in 1902 and began its restoration. Through donations and acquisitions, the Pawtucket Chapter, NSDAR, amassed an impressive collection of Revolutionary War, Civil War, and 18th/19th century memorabilia and antiques. Daggett House opened to the public in 1905 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
A tour of the nine fully furnished rooms is history in action, with facts and lighthearted stories that will warm your heart.
TOURS: The Daggett House is open for tours in September during Arts in the Park Festival, and in December during Slater Park’s Winter Wonderland. Additional tours can be arranged by appointment April through December.
The Daggett House Timeline
333 Years of History
|1644||John Daggett, Sr. first settled the land. He stayed several years and then turned the house and land over to his son when he moved to Martha’s Vineyard.|
|1645||John Daggett, Jr. remained and left the house to his eldest son, Joseph.|
|1707||Joseph Daggett was a Doctor of Medicine, a wheelwright, and miller. Joseph left the house to his son, Israel Daggett.|
|1727||Israel Daggett was a cooper (maker of wooden tubs and barrels). Israel had 3 sons, all of whom served in the Revolutionary War. Israel left the house to his eldest son, William.|
|1819||When William died, the house went to his three eldest sons, William Jr., John, and Abel, and his only daughter Amey through probate. |
Amey was allowed to use one chamber (bedroom) and one lower room, plus the cellar and cellar kitchen.
|1830||John & Abel Daggett partitioned and took the house and land immediately surrounding the area. After his death, John’s portion sold to his sister Amey at auction. When Abel died, he willed his share to Amey.|
|1842||Amey Daggett shared the farm with her niece Hannah and Hannah’s husband, Jefferson Daggett (son of Jacob Daggett). They farmed the property until 1870 when Jefferson died. They were quite well off until that time.|
|1892||When Jefferson Daggett died, the farm fell on hard times. When Hannah Daggett died, her heirs sold the remaining property, dilapidated house, and outbuildings to the city.|
|1894||The house was rented to tenants for a few years and finally the city decided to tear the house down. The Pawtucket Chapter, NSDAR, came to the rescue and we have been custodians of the house for over a hundred years.|
|2020||The Pawtucket Chapter, NSDAR, continue to faithfully serve as custodians of the house. The chapter arranges repairs, cleans, and maintains this historic property for all who wish to enjoy the house. While it is certainly a big undertaking, our chapter is dedicated to making sure this property is able to be enjoyed for another 100 years to come.|